Reverse osmosis is the same technology that is used to purify millions of bottles of water annually. It is sold in your local grocery and convenience stores as Dasani, Aquafina, and a host of other brands. RO, or reverse osmosis, is a membrane technology that has been used for decades as a reliable and safe way to purify water. Initially developed and used as a method to desalinate sea water, it is still used worldwide for this purpose. The success of this technology evolved to smaller systems enabling an upgrade of the drinking water in your home or business. Water is purified then sent to a storage tank with a line feeding a separate, dedicated faucet at the kitchen sink.
When considering a system to purchase, performance and reliability are key for having a long-term, consistent solution for excellent, clean drinking water. A well-made system (as opposed to an internet “bargain”) properly maintained, can last 20 years or more and continue to produce premium, purified water.
SERVICING AN RO SYSTEM
Just some of the things a complete system service should encompass include (typically annually):
- Testing the incoming water supply for Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) level
- Testing the water post system for Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) to determine system impurities removal %.
- Change out sediment and carbon filters
- Sanitize storage tank and lines
- Check storage tank pressure for adequate level
- Check valves, fittings & other components
For more on how reverse osmosis systems work, see the link at: How RO works.