RADON IN WATER REMOVAL
Many homeowners are surprised when they discover they have radon in their well water. As radon in water is colorless, odorless, and tasteless, the need for a water test is all the more critical. Radon is a radioactive gas which comes from the natural decay of uranium found in nearly all soils. Radon in water is not a problem until the gas escapes the water as it enters your home through faucets, showers, bathtubs, washing machines, etc. Radon is a health threat that must be taken care of in your Essex home. To remove radon in water, a properly designed system that agitates the radon gas out of the water then vents it to outside of the home is the preferred and safest approach to correcting this problem. These systems are installed in the basement at the water’s point of entry into the home.
Contaminant Guideline Levels by State (in pCi/L as of 7/7/2016)
Massachusetts = 10,000 pico curries/liter
New Hampshire = 2,000 ” ”
Maine = 4,000 ” ”
Rhode Island = 4,000 ” ”
Any home may have a radon problem from such sources as:
1. Cracks in walls
2. Cracks in solid floors
3. Construction joints
4. Gaps in suspended floors
5. Gaps in service pipes
6. Spaces inside walls
7. In your water supply as gas is released into the air in the home.
RADON STUDIES, RISKS & OTHER CONCERNS
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health Radiation Control Program performed a 1988 study in conjunction with the EPA. The data gathered from that study estimates that 1 out of 4 homes may have levels above the 4.0 Pico curries/L in air action level. However, the only way to know if your home has a problem is to perform a test.
Radon is a Class A carcinogen and the second leading cause of lung cancer. The increased risk of developing lung cancer from radon is directly related to the concentration of radon and the length of time that a person is exposed to it. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that there are between 5,000 and 30,000 radon-related lung cancer deaths each year. Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.
Cigarette smokers have eight times the risk from radon as non-smokers. Therefore, cigarette smokers in particular, should keep their exposure to radon as low as possible. If the home was tested in an infrequently used basement, it may have measured a radon level that is higher than the actual level you are exposed to, spending most of your time upstairs. People with young children should be more concerned with the possible consequences of radon exposure 20 years from now than someone in their late sixties or seventies. Families with a hereditary predisposition of cancer should be more concerned about radon exposure than families who don’t have any history of cancer.
Although no level of radon in water or air is considered absolutely safe, the USEPA action level for radon is 4.0 picocuries per liter of AIR (pCi/L). (pCi/l= picocuries per liter, the most common method of reporting radon levels. A pico Curie is 0.000,000,000,001 (one-trillionth) of a Curie, an international measurement unit of radioactivity. One pCi/l means that in one liter of air there will be 2.2 radioactive disintegrations each minute. For example, at 4 pCi/l there will be approximately 12,672 radioactive disintegrations in one liter of air, during a 24-hour period.)
The risk of developing lung cancer at 4.0 pCi/L in AIR is estimated at about 7 lung cancer deaths per 1000 persons, which is why the USEPA and IEMA recommend reducing your radon level if the concentration is 4.0 pCi/L or more.
Some common myths about radon:
MYTH: Scientists are not sure that radon really is a problem.
FACT: Although some scientists dispute the precise number of deaths due to radon, all the major health organizations (like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Lung Association and the American Medical Association) agree with estimates that radon causes thousands of preventable lung cancer deaths every year. This is especially true among smokers, since the risk to smokers is much greater than to non-smokers.
MYTH: Homes with radon in water and/or in air can’t be fixed, or cannot be fixed economically.
FACT: There are solutions to radon problems in homes. Thousands of homeowners have already fixed radon problems in their homes. Costs to remove radon can range from several hundred to several thousand dollars depending on the source, plumbing and venting considerations.
MYTH: Radon is only a problem in certain parts of the country.
FACT: High radon levels have been found in every state.
MYTH: A neighbor’s test result is a good indication of whether your home has a problem.
FACT: Radon levels vary greatly from home to home. The only way to know if your home has a radon problem is to test it.
MYTH: It is difficult to sell homes where radon problems have been discovered.
FACT: Many types of problems can hinder a home sale, but when the problems are fixed before the home is listed, the sales are not slowed down. It is the same for radon. All homes should be tested for radon, and those with problems fixed before being listed for sale. Radon should be tested not only inside the home, but if there is a private well, testing for radon in water is imperative. Radon in water is not uncommon in private wells in Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Maine.
MYTH: I’ve lived in my home for so long, it doesn’t make sense to take action now.
FACT: You will reduce your risk of lung cancer when you reduce radon levels, even if you’ve lived with a radon problem for a long time.
MYTH: Short-term tests cannot be used for making a decision about whether to fix your home.
FACT: Short term tests can be used to decide whether to fix your home, and for higher radon levels (8 pCi/l or higher) that is all that should be used. Keep in mind that, even though the action level is 4, this is not a “safe” level and that radon levels below 4 pCi/l still pose some risk. Radon levels in most homes can be reduced to 2 pCi/l or less.
Testing for radon in water can be a little tricky. There can be absolutely no air bubbles in the water sample container and the sample should be tested within 24 hours of the time the sample was pulled. A water treatment professional can assist you in this process and also help you analyze the lab test results.